First Congregational Church of Marion Presents Historic Sermon At 10 AM Founders’ Worship Service this Sunday, February 21, 2021
Marion, MA - February 18, 2021 - The First Congregational Church of Marion announces the presentation of an historic sermon originally authored in 1861 by Rev. Leander Cobb, on Sunday, February 21st at its 10:00 AM Founders’ Day worship service. Members of the community are invited to attend the hybrid service and the public discussion of the sermon that will follow immediately after and continue until 11:45 AM. Attendees who are not members of the Church must register with Deacon George Linzee by phone (774.775.2562) and indicate their choice of participating either in-person or on Zoom. Mr. Linzee will also provide the in-person Covid-19 requirements or the Zoom virtual link.
The message, entitled; Historic Sketch of The Congregational Church in Marion, MA was originally preached by Rev. Leander Cobb to his Marion congregation on December 29, 1861. The sermon covers the history of the Church from its founding in 1703 until 1861. Leander Cobb was the son of Rev. Dr. Oliver Cobb. Both father and son were pastors of the Marion church from 1799 – 1872. Leander was also father to Sarah Cobb-Briggs who went to sea with her husband Capt. Benjamin Briggs and their daughter on the now famous “ghost ship” Mary Celeste and as a result was lost at sea in 1872 in that ill-fated voyage .
In his sermon, Leander lends his perspective, having grown up in the church and serving as a missionary pastor in Indiana. He returned with his wife Julia Scribner-Cobb in 1839 to serve and assist his father, Oliver, until his passing eight years later. Leander witnessed the construction and opening of our current sanctuary building, known as “the Captains Meeting House” and the revival and school that followed. He continued as senior minister until his death in 1872. Plaques honoring him and his father are located on the two front side walls in the sanctuary.
The home of Deacons George and Jean Linzee on 460 Front Street, currently known as the Silvershell Inn, was the original Cobb Family parsonage and homestead farm that Rev. Oliver Cobb built in 1799 when he started preaching in both the Rochester and Marion Congregational churches.
The sermon and service will be presented by a Cobb descendant and lay minister, Stephen P. Cobb of West Barnstable, MA . Stephen is the 2nd great grandson of Leander Cobb. Stephen and his family live on Cape Cod where he is a retired sales executive from the airline industry and practices real estate in Osterville, MA.
Please come and join us at this exciting time of rediscovering our history as a church in Marion.
For further inquiries:
George Linzee, Chair
FCCM Board of Deacons